​​​​​​Hyden Zakheim, LLP​

Attorneys at Law

(925) 831-0636

Providing effective representation locally, since 1991.

Parents of US Citizens

Parents of US Citizens are considered immediate family and therefore are not subject to any of the limitations and caps on immigration. In other words, a US Citizen may opt to bring his or her immediate family to the US at any time. The Citizen (must be an adult) commences the process by filing a petition to bring his/her foreign national parents to the US. The process differs depending on the location of the parents at the time of petition filing. If the parent is eligible for a “Green Card”, is in the US and had entered the US legally (inspected by an immigration officer at customs) the request for Adjustment of Status can be filed contemporaneously with the Petition for Alien Relative. If the relative is abroad, once the petition is approved, the process continues through the NVC (National Visa Center) and then on the consulate or embassy abroad.